Watching our little fur buddies get old is the worst. I think the majority of pet owners would agree that the inevitable end of a relationship with a pet is one of the hardest parts of pet ownership.
Our 15-year-old tabby cat is nearing his ninth life, and even though he’s prepared us for this time with numerous little scares in between, it is impossible to ever truly “prepare yourself” for loss.
You can however make it better for everyone involved, and these individual efforts will not only make your animal feel better, but also give you the peace of mind that you did your best to provide the top notch care and quality of life in your pets final days.
1. Let’s start with the basics, a comfy bed!
Whether you make a nest of old blankets and towels in a box, or treat your animal to a cozy new spot to lounge, the ultimate goal is to give your pet a comforting, safe, spot to rest their head. Harmony Grey Patched Pillowtop Lounger Orthopedic Dog Bed has been voted a fan favorite by several of our dog friends!
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Patched-Pillowtop-Lounger-Orthopedic/dp/B074N2D879/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Harmony+Grey+Patched+Pillowtop+Lounger+Orthopedic+Dog+Bed&qid=1557778974&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell
2. CBD has been the talk of the town, but does it really work? Daily CBD treatment has demonstrated decreased anxiety and increased happiness. We have been giving our cat CBD every morning since his recent decline in health and he seems to be more friendly, more interested in food, and laying down with more ease since we started treatment. Check out Pawesome Hemp Oil for Dogs and Cats.
3. It becomes increasingly harder for older animals to receive the nutrients they need to be strong and healthy. Nutritional pastes are a great option. You simply add a teaspoon squirt to your pets food, put some on their paw, or for those animals starting to resist eating, it can be directly squirted into their mouth. Tomlyn Nutritional Supplement Gel for Cats is a great option for your fussy feline!
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Tomlyn-Nutritional-Supplement-Kittens-Felovite/dp/B0002XAEII/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=Tomlyn+Nutritional+Supplement+for+Cats+Felovite®+II&qid=1557790911&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull
4. As our cat’s well being started to decline, he also began to take on a few abnormal behaviors. A cat that never drank from the toilet bowl was caught straight chugging toilet water. Cats especially prefer to have a moving, extra fresh water source. This may be the time to treat your kitty to the water bowl fountain of their dreams! Pioneer Pet Swan Pet Drinking Fountain is a beauty!
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Swan-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B07GJMSBXZ/ref=sxbs_ac_d_pm?crid=2ICZYETD9HZSB&keywords=cat+water+bowl+fountain&pd_rd_i=B07GJMSBXZ&pd_rd_r=07b143bc-6f6d-460f-b2ec-d576c8db2fe5&pd_rd_w=vtjmY&pd_rd_wg=xQOyj&pf_rd_p=7a617131-5633-4cbf-b289-ab47a3a4a81c&pf_rd_r=3YYMC3WRWXABG31H3JCV&qid=1557791159&s=gateway&sprefix=Water+bowl+fount%2Caps%2C224
5. Lastly, it is important to nourish your animal properly. There are some excellent senior pet foods on the market that cater to exactly what your old pal needs. Whether their teeth are gone or tender, or they have sensitive stomachs, puree wet food is the way to go. Senior pet food is typically higher in calories, closer to what one would find in puppy or kitten food. These added calories will help your fur friend get all of the nutrients they need to keep moving along to the finish line. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Senior Wet Dog Food (and they also have cat food) is our go-to brand!
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Buffalo-Wilderness-Protein-Natural/dp/B00L9NY2KG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=26O12D08KBGIW&keywords=blue+senior+canned+dog+food&qid=1557791458&s=gateway&sprefix=Blue+sen%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1